Korean Red Ginseng and ED
Red ginseng has long been used to treat impotence. But researchers are now studying the effectiveness of the plant. In one study, 45 men with ED were given either Korean red ginseng or a placebo.
The men receiving the herb took 900 milligrams, three times a day, for eight weeks. At the end of eight weeks, those who took Korean red ginseng felt improvement in their ED symptoms compared to those who took the placebo. Researchers concluded that red ginseng may be an effective alternative treatment for impotence.
- Asian Ginseng. (2011, January 27).
- Gao, J. L., Lv, G. Y., He, B. C., Zhang, B. Q., Zhang, H., Wang, N., Wang, C. Z., Du, W., Yuan, C. S., & He, T. C. (2013, July). Ginseng saponin metabolite 20(S)-protopanaxadiol inhibits tumor growth by targeting multiple cancer signaling pathways. Oncology Reports, 30(1), 292-8.
- Ginseng, Panax. (2012, December 11).
- Hong, B., Young, H. J., Hong, J. H., Nam, K. I. Y, & Ahn, T. Y. (2002). A Double-Blind Crossover Study Evaluating the Efficacy of Korean Red Ginseng in Patients with Erectile Dysfunction: A Preliminary Report. The Journal of Urology, 168(5), 2070-2073.
- Oh, K. J., Chae, M. J., Lee, H. S., Hong, H. D., & Park, K. (2010). Effects of Korean Red Ginseng on Sexual Arousal in Menopausal Women: Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind, Crossover Clinical Study. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 7(4), 1469-1477.
- Vayghan, H. J., Ghadimi, S. S., & Nourazarian, A. R. (2014) Preventive and therapeutic roles of ginseng - focus on colon cancer. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention, 15(2), 585-8.
- Yennurajalingam, S., Reddy, A., Tannir, N. M., Chisholm, G. B., Lee, R. T., Lopez, G., Escalante, C. P., Manzullo, E. F., Hume, S. F., Williams, J. L., Cohen, L., & Bruera, E. (2015, April 14). High-dose Asian ginseng (panax ginseng) for cancer-related fatigue: A preliminary report. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 14(5), 419-427.
"Korean Ginseng", also known as "Red Ginseng", is derived from the same species of plant as Chinese or "White ginseng", Panax ginseng. The main difference is that Korean ginseng is steamed after drying giving it a red coloration and slightly different physical effects."