There are lot's of options to increase growth hormone production. Serovital is an amino acid blend that has been all over the press lately but bodybuilder's have been maximizing there growth hormone production long before this blend was available. Others have mentioned that you want to look for an amino acid blend that contains GOAL (glycine, ornithine, arginine and lysine).
The benefits of higher growth hormone levels are as follows:
- Increases in Lean Body Mass
- Increases in Bone Density
- Decreases in Adipose Tissue (Fat) Mass
- Increases in Skin Thickness
The below information was excerpted from Growth Hormone: Amino Acids as GH Secretagogues – A Review of the Literature.
|Amino Acids||Study Results|
|Intravenous Ornithine||Produces a five-fold increase in serum growth hormone in humans.|
|Ornithine||Increased serum growth hormone in bodybuilders, up to four times the baseline level.|
|Arginine||250 mg/kg/day of oral arginine aspartate given to five healthy subjects for seven days caused a 60% rise in GH during slow wave sleep compared to the control period.|
|Arginine and Ornithine||In a double-blind study, adult males participating in a 5-week progressive strength-training program who consumed 2 grams of L-arginine and 1 gram of L-ornithine experienced significantly higher total strength and lean body mass scores and excreted less urinary hydroxyproline than placebo-treated subjects.|
|Ornithine Alpha-ketoglutarate (OKG)||Significantly increased IGF-1 and growth hormone levels in trauma patients. In healthy subject, OKG increased tissue levels of growth-hormone-releasing glutamine.|
|Arginine and lysine||1200 milligrams of arginine pyroglutamate combined with L-lysine hydrochloride significantly elevated biologically active growth hormone from two to eight times the baseline value in 15 healthy male subjects aged 15 to 20 years old.|
|Arginine and lysine||1,500 mg arginine and 1,500 mg lysine increased GH in young men only during resting conditions.|
|Glycine||In 19 normal, non-obese subjects, 6.75 grams of glycine increased growth hormone levels up to 300 to 400 percent that of baseline.|
|Glycine and L-arginine||Increased the subjects mean resistance to fatigue up to 28% over the controls during acute exhaustive high-intensity anaerobic isokinetic exercise and produced an overall gain in total muscle work of 10.5% more than controls.|
|Gamma Aminobutyric Acid (GABA)||A single oral dose of 5 grams of GABA administered to 19 subjects significantly elevated plasma growth hormone levels compared to placebo-treated controls.|
|Glutamine||Two grams of oral glutamine resulted in elevated plasma growth hormone in 8 of 9 subjects tested.|
- Aleman A, Verhaar HJ, DeHaan EH, et al. Insulin-like growth factor-I and cognitive function in healthy older men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:471–5.[PubMed]
- Anawalt BD, Merriam GR. Neuroendocrine aging in men: andropause and somatopause. Endocrinology and Metabolism Clinics of North America. 2001;30:647–69.[PubMed]
- Arvat E, Giordano R, Broglio F, et al. GH secretagogues in aging. J Anti-Aging Medicine. 2000;3:149–58.
- Blackman MR, Sorkin JD, Munzer T, et al. Growth hormone and sex steroid administration in healthy aged women and men: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2002;288:2282–92.[PubMed]
- Bowers CY, Granda R, Mohan S, et al. Sustained elevation of pulsatile growth hormone (GH) secretion and insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3), and IGFBP-5 concentrations during 30-day continuous subcutaneous infusion of GH-releasing peptide-2 in older men and women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004;89:2290–300.[PubMed]
- Cummings DE, Merriam GR. Growth hormone therapy in adults. Annu Rev Med. 2003;54:513.[PubMed]
- Ho KY, Evans WS, Blizzard RM, et al. Effects of sex and age on the 24 hour profile of growth hormone secretion in man: Importance of endogenous estradiol concentrations. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1987;64:51–8.[PubMed]
- Liddle RA. Ghrelin [online] 2006. Up to Date Accessed 8 Sep 2006. URL: http://www.uptodate.com.
- Melmed S. Physiology of growth hormone [online] 2006. Up to Date Accessed 8 Sep 2006. URL: http://www.uptodate.com.
- Merriam GR, Blackman M, Hoffman A, et al. Effects of chronic treatment with an oral growth hormone (GH) secretagogue on nocturnal GH and insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) in older men and women. Frontiers in Neuroendocrinology. 2006;27:36. published abstract.
- Merriam GR, Schwarz RS, Vitiello MV. Growth hormone-releasing hormone and growth hormone secretagogues in normal aging. Endocrine. 2003;22:1–7.[PubMed]
- Merriam GR, Barsness S, Buchner D, et al. Growth hormone-releasing hormone treatment in normal aging. J Anti Aging Med. 2002;4:1–13.
- Merriam GR, Cummings DE. Growth hormone and growth hormone secretagogues in adults. In: Meikle W, editor. Endocrine replacement therapy in clinical practice. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press; 2003. pp. 63–94.
- Merriam GR. Clinical Endocrinology Update. Chevy Chase, MD: The Endocrine Society; 2002. Growth hormone as anti-aging therapy, and other emerging (and submerging) indications.
- Merriam GR, Kletke M, Barsness S, et al. Growth hormone-releasing hormone in normal aging: An Update. Today’s Therapeutic Trends. 2000;18:335–54.
- Merriam GR, Buchner DM, Prinz PN, et al. Potential applications of GH secretagogs in the evaluation and treatment of the age-related decline in growth hormone secretion. Endocrine. 1997;7:1–3.[PubMed]
- Merriam GR, Wyatt FG. Diagnosis and treatment of growth hormone deficiency in adults: current perspectives. Current Opinion in Endocrinology and Diabetes. 2006;13:362–8.
- Molitch M, Clemmons D, Malozowski S, et al. Evaluation and treatment of adult growth hormone deficiency: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:1621–34.[PubMed]
- Papadakis MA, Grady D, Black D, et al. Growth hormone replacement in healthy older men improves body composition but not functional ability. Ann Intern Med. 1996;124:708–16.[PubMed]
- Pavlov EP, Harman SM, Merriam GR, et al. Responses of growth hormone and somatomedin-C to growth hormone-releasing hormone in healthy aging men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1986;62:595–600.[PubMed]
- Rudman D, Feller AG, Nagraj HS, et al. Effects of human growth hormone in men over 60 years old. NEJM. 1990;323:1–6.[PubMed]
- Thorner MO, Nass R, Pezzoli SS, et al. Orally active ghrelin mimetic (MK-677) prevents and partially reverses sarcopenia in healthy older men and women: a double-blind, placebo controlled, crossover study. Endocrine Society Annual Meeting; 24 June 2006; Boston. 2006. abstract OR5–5.
- Veldhuis JD, Patri JM, Frick K, et al. Administration of recombinant human GHRH-1,44-amide for 3 months reduces abdominal visceral fat mass and increases physical performance measures in postmenopausal women. Eur J Endocrinol. 2005;153:669–77.[PubMed]
- Vitiello MV, Moe KE, Merriam GR, et al. Chronic growth hormone releasing hormone treatment improves cognition of healthy older adults. Neurobiology of Aging. 2006;27:318–23.[PubMed]
- Vitiello MV, Schwartz RS, Buchner KE, et al. Treating age-related changes in somatotrophic hormones, sleep, and cognition. Dialogs in Clinical Neuroscience. 2001;3:229–36.
- Vitiello MV, Wilkinson CW, Merriam GR, et al. Successful six-month endurance training does not alter insulin-like growth factor-I in healthy older men and women. J Gerontol Med Sci. 1997;52A:149–54.
Novex Biotech Growth Factor-9: GF9 Serovital Increases HGH by 682%
Metabolic Effect Monster Set: Growth Hormone Stimulating Workout