Bodybuilders have traditionally handled this by staying low and slow carbohydrate the majority of the day with the exception of post workout. Fast or high glycemic carbs are only allowed post workout.
This is done since the fast carbohydrates fill the blood stream quickly with sugar. The body needs to rid the blood of the sugar so insulin is secreted to shuttle the sugars and other nutrients present in the blood into both fat and muscle storage. Working out depletes muscle of its own sugar stores, glycogen, which gives muscle preferential treatment to get those sugars replaced.
This is why the 30 - 45 minutes post-workout is called "anabolic window". The creatine and protein are shuttled into muscle with the help of fast carbs and insulin.
Nutrient partitioning agents are supportive of the whole process. It has been suggested that hardgainers can really benefit from these supplements.
Here are some products you can try to elevate your muscle gains.
- Lee YS, Kim WS, Kim KH, et al. Berberine, a natural plant product, activates AMP-activated protein kinase with beneficial metabolic effects. Diabetes. 2006 Aug;55(8):2256-64.
- Bova S, Padrini R, & Goldman WF. On the mechanism of vasodilating action of berberine: possible role of inositol lipid signaling system. J Pharmacol & Experimental Therapeutics 1992; 261:318-323.
- Baron AD, Clark MG. Role of blood flow in the regulation of muscle glucose uptake. Annu Rev Nutr. 1997;17:487-99
- Cheng Z, Pang T, Gu M, et al. Berberine-stimulated glucose uptake in L6 myotubes involves both AMPK and p38 MAPK. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2006 Nov;1760(11):1682-9.
- Low SY, Rennie MJ, Taylor PM. Modulation of glycogen synthesis in rat skeletal muscle by changes in cell volume. J Physiol. 1996 Sep 1;495 ( Pt 2):299-303.