MAN Vaporize is one such product. Vaporize combines sesamin with fish oil to help you meet your lean goal.
The below is from Muscle and Fitness:
SESAMIN IS A LIGNAN found in sesame oil that can offer potent antioxidant activity and aid fat loss. Sesamin itself has no antioxidant activity; however, in the liver it gets converted to an active form that acts like a powerful antioxidant. In fact, one study showed that males who took sesamin before exercise had considerably less oxidative damage after exercise as compared to controls and subjects who took Vitamin E before exercise. Not only does the active form scavenge damaging free radicals, but it also decreases fatty acid production and increases fat breakdown. That adds up to greater fat loss when sesamin is taken regularly.
One of the mechanisms by which scientists believe sesamin works is by altering genes that increase the production of metabolic enzymes and other important proteins involved in producing body fat and burning fat for energy in the body. An effective dose of sesamin appears to be 500-1,000 mg taken 2-3 times a day with food. You can find a potent form of sesamin in Sesamin by Scivation (scivation.com).
HUNGRY LIKE THE WOLF. Authors: Stoppani, Jim Source: Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness; Feb 2006, Vol. 67 Issue 2, p 256-256
The below is from the manufacturer:
VAPORIZE™ represents a sensation so remarkable you have to experience it to believe it. Comprised of a revolutionary nutritional breakthrough; sesamin, a gift found in the husks of sesame seeds and in the bark and fruit of certain plant species. VAPORIZE™ sets free a body fat reducing phenomenon so extraordinary it defies description! Recognized as a lignan, sesamin found in VAPORIZE™ from MAN Sports, also supports liver and kidney health, supports healthy cholesterol levelsalready within the normal range and posses potent Antioxidant activity by increasing the absorption, use and recycling of Vitamin E.* Its tremendous fat oxidizing phenomenon is believed to be attributed to augmenting the release of potent thermogenic enzymes through optimized liver function.* Fascinatingly more, sesamin's potent fat and health promoting effects are further amplified when used in conjunction with essential fatty acids.* And that is why VAPORIZE™ also integrates BIG-FISH™, a potent 50% EPA/DHA fish oil matrix. As a premium source of EFA's, BIG-FISH™, works in tandem with sesamin in VAPORIZE™ to initiate a fat incinerating and health promoting supplement!*
- Radically reduces body fat through a process called fat oxidation*
- Inhibits lipogenic (fat storing) gene expression of several different fat storing enzymes*
- Provides powerful anti-oxidant properties*
- Supports healthy cholesterol levels already within the normal range*
- Supports healthy liver and kidney function*
- Increases insulin sensitivity and acts as a nutrient partitioner*
- Stacks well with Scorch, PUFA's, Flax lignans, and bioisomer-specific CLA for more dramatic and effective bodyfat reducing and health promoting properties.*
Sesamin is a lignan (a lignan is a chemical compound known as a phytoestrogen) and activates the Peroxisome Proliferator-Activator Receptor Alpha (PPAR alpha).* There are 3 different classes of PPAR's:
- Alpha - expressed in kidney, heart, muscle, adipose tissue, and others.
- Gamma - though transcribed by the same gene, this PPAR exists in three forms (y-1 (expressed in virtually all tissues), y-2 (expressed primarily in fat tissue), y-3 (expressed in macrophages, intestines and white adipose tissue).
- Delta - expressed in many tissues but markedly in brain, adipose tissue and skin.
PPAR's are nuclear receptors that play major roles in fat metabolism, cellular energy balance and insulin sensitivity. Basically they are small complexes that have major impact on many systems in our body and many systems that contribute to fat loss and nutrient usage/expenditure/storage. The PPAR alpha receptors can be found expressed in the muscle, liver, and kidneys, and is specifically involved in the transcription of the genes involved in the beta-oxidation (burning) of fatty acids and lipogenesis (the storing of fat). As such, sesamin does two significant things in regards to weight control/fat loss.
It produces the phenomenon known as fat oxidation by augmenting the release of potent thermogenic enzymes through optimized liver function.* Meaning it helps increase the rate at which fat gets converted to energy.* It inhibits the function of fat storing enzymes.* Sesamin can alter metabolism to be one that preferentially utilizes fat as an energy source as well as foil its storage.*
Another thing of importance to the war on weight loss is that PPAR alpha activation (of which sesamin is extremely potent) also increases uncoupling-proteins (UCPs).* What this means is that an increase in UCPs would increase the calories needed to produce the same amount of energy. In other words sesamin increases the rate and capacity at which cells can vaporize fat.*
BIG-FISH™ is a 50% EPA/DHA essential fatty acids blend which are known to have numerous health benefits. Among the proven health promoting properties of EPA and DHA are cardiovascular health, healthy blood cholesterollevels that are already within the normal range, support healthy joints and bodyfat reduction.* EPA and DHA also work in tandem with sesamin in activation of PPAR alpha and as such amplify the fat burning and health promoting properties of sesamin.*
- J Plant Physiol. 2005 Jul;162(7):834-43. Beyond vitamin E supplementation: an alternative strategy to improve vitamin E status. Department of Food Science, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Box 7051, 750 07 Uppsala, Sweden.
- Akimoto K., et al. 1993. Protective effects of sesamin against liver damage caused by alcohol or carbon tetrachloride in rodents. Ann Nutr Metab. ;37(4):218-24.
- Ashakumary L., et al. 1999. Sesamin, a sesame lignan, is a potent inducer of hepatic fatty acid oxidation in the rat. Metabolism. Oct;48(10):1303-13.
- Fukuda N, et al. 1999. Effect of dietary sesamin on metabolic fate of an exogenous linolelaidic acid in perfused rat liver. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). Aug;45(4):437-48
- J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2002 Oct;48(5):405-9. Combined effects of dietary conjugated linoleic acid and sesamin triacylglycerol and ketone body production in rat liver.Sakono M, Yuji K, Miyanaga F, Tamaru S, Fujita M, Fukuda N, Tsutsumi K, Iwata T, Kasai M, Sugano M.
- Hirose N., et al. 1991. Inhibition of cholesterol absorption and synthesis in rats by sesamin. J. Lipid Res. Vol 32, 629-638.
- Ide T., et al. 2001. Sesamin, a sesame lignan, decreases fatty acid synthesis in rat liver accompanying the down-regulation of sterol regulatory element binding protein-1. Biochim Biophys Acta. Nov 30;1534(1):1-13.
- Ide T., et al. 2003. Sesamin, a Sesame Lignan, as a Potent Lipid-Lowering Food Component. JARQ 37 (3), 151 - 158.
- Ide T. 2004. Interaction of dietary fat types and sesamin on hepatic fatty acid oxidation in rats. Biochim Biophys Acta. Jun 1;1682(1-3):80-91.
- Lemcke-Norojarvi M, Kamal-Eldin A, Appelqvist LA, Dimberg LH, Ohrvall M, Vessby B. Corn and sesame oil increase serum gamma-tocopherol concentrations in healthy Swedish women. J Nutr. 2001 Apr;131(4):1195-201.
- Evans, B. A. J., Griffiths, K., Morton, M. S., J Endocrinol (1995). Vol. 147 pp. 295â€¦quot;302.
- Circulation. 2003 Apr 1;107(12):1586-91. Epub 2003 Mar 10. Adipose tissue alpha-linolenic acid and nonfatal acute myocardial infarction in Costa Rica. Baylin A, Kabagambe EK, Ascherio A, Spiegelman D, Campos H
- Metabolism. 2002 Oct;51(10):1253-60. Effect of alpha-linolenic acid-rich Camelina sativa oil on serum fatty acid composition and serum lipids in hypercholesterolemic subjects. Karvonen HM, Aro A, Tapola NS, Salminen I, Uusitupa MI, Sarkkinen ES.